Locked-in syndrome care
Unique locked-in syndrome careLiving with locked-in syndrome means you may be confined and unable to express your feeling. But with innovative support at home you can maintain quality of life.
We provide specialist bespoke support for people with locked-in syndrome. Although, there is no known treatment for locked-in syndrome; Verity Healthcare specialist team adopts first-class technology to offer innovative and flexible approach to maximising the quality of life for people living with locked-in syndromes and their relatives..
Locked-in syndrome is a medical condition, usually resulting from a stroke and other complications such as anaphylactic shock, traumatic brain injury, disease of the circulatory system or overdose of medication. These complications can result in damages to part of the brainstem, in which the body and most of the facial muscles are paralysed but consciousness remains and the ability to perform certain eye movements is preserved. The condition results in the complete paralysis of the voluntary muscles meaning a person is left unable to speak or move.
We’re able to offer support and care to help you to live well. Get in touch today on 0203 643 5295 to discuss your options.
Options for Locked-in syndrome care
We’re supporting many more people who have been diagnosed with Locked-in syndrome. With the right level of specialist care from our specialist nurse-led, we’re able to support people living with Locked-in syndrome to live in their own home. Receiving support at home, the environment where people feel most comfortable and close to our loved ones helps for fulfilled life.
As each person has a different need, we offer a wide range of a services that are completely flexible to provide choice and promote flexibility. You or your loved one may choose to arrange support for a few days. There is also the option of providing support on an ongoing basis so you can develop your independence.
Whatever your preference, our nurse-led team is at hand to live in your home on your own terms and live completely normal life. Our range of support include:
- Emergency care: to provide urgent help especially when you have had emergency discharge or when an emergency has arisen
- Live-in care: to have full-time carer to live in your home, for just a few days so you can get back on your feet
- Nursing care: where a highly skilled registered nurse will visit to receive your for your to receive nursing care such as medication management, tracheostomy care and PEG feeding
- Visiting care: where a highly skilled healthcare assistant will visit at certain times of the day when you need the extra support
- Reablement care: specialist care worker helps to exercise as per the prescription from the physiotherapist
- Respite care: to have an expert replacement carer to step in when your usual carer needs a break or is unable to support you.
How can we help?
At Verity Healthcare, we take great care to ensure each of our clients receives the best kind of care that meets their needs and preferences. Our expert team of nurses conduct a comprehensive assessment of the client’s clinical and social needs to develop a bespoke and comprehensive care and lifestyle plan.
Our nurses and care assistants are trained in a wide range of skills and have several experiences to support clients’ living in locked-in syndrome, to cater to the care of the bowel and bladder and catheterisations. They are able to care for patients who require nasogastric or PEG feeding as well as tracheostomy and ventilator management.
Our services go far beyond traditional homecare and provide effective and evidence-based care through our close working relationship with other healthcare professionals like physiotherapist, GPs and speech therapist. We’re committed to providing the best standards of care that meets your needs, interest and preferences. We also support people living with locked-in syndrome to develop exercise regimes that maintain muscle tone and implement communication tools, such as spelling boards or computers that track eye movements.
Our services are focused on supporting people with their physical health needs as well as the development of their total wellbeing. Contemporary research has revealed that enhancing the quality of life for people with locked-in syndrome is closely linked to their social environment. That’s why we adopt innovative ways to support clients with locked-in syndrome to strengthen social interaction with their family and friends and continue to enjoy favourite activities.
We work closely with our clients to implement activities that enable them to develop and maximise their abilities – including through the use of assistive technologies – and support them in taking control over their lives.
Adopting a proactive, positive, and problem-solving approach to supporting our clients is vital to the way we work. We develop bespoke care, tailored to individual needs and circumstances of our clients. We work with individuals and families to create relaxed settings and atmosphere that provides the perfect place to receive award-winning support from highly trained, friendly and expert care staff and nurses.
We’ll offer reablement care, respite care and emergency care to help you to live as independently as possible with locked -in syndrome care. Get in touch today on 0203 643 5295 to discuss your options.
Specific locked-in syndrome care
Despite the procedure of hip and knee replacement being short, the after care for the surgeries can take anywhere from weeks to months. To aid in providing a smoother recovery, Verity Healthcare care workers can assist you or your loved one with:
- Physiotherapy exercises: supporting you with moving and handling activities and in using wheelchair, walking stick or Zimmer frame to strengthen your joints
- Improving mobility: safely supporting you with standing, sitting and moving from room to room
- Promoting nutrition: cooking or collecting food shopping
- Performing domestic chores such as washing up, vacuuming, washing laundry
- Providing personal care including, bathing and changing clothes
- Life skills development – supporting with learning new skills, education and work aspirations
- Medicine management – assistance with taking the right medicines as prescribed to improve health and wellbeing
- Encouragement to relearn skills and do things for yourself to maintain your independence
- Running errands such as collecting prescriptions or helping with the food shopping
Get in touch today on 0203 643 5295 to discuss your options.
Our friendly, highly experienced, team members understand that it’s natural to have many questions and reservations when deciding whether to receive support at home.
“Andrew is a university study who is receiving live-in care from Verity Healthcare. Andrew says: “I have a whole new life. I have developed skills to live independently, all because of the excellent support I have received from Verity Healthcare live-in carer. I’m doing well with my academic studies. I’m forever grateful. My heartfelt thanks to Verity Healthcare management and staff” – Angela, university student, Essex
Request a Call Back
To find out more or speak to your local Verity Healthcare representative, please fill in our contact form.
We’re committed to excellence and to deliver essential homecare services to our clients as the first choice
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have any questions about applying to you us, you may consult the frequently asked questions and call us
Learn what our staff and clients say about working with Verity Healthcare. You’ll be encouraged.